Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Putin: I Will Accept PMship

Vladimir Putin assured his political party Monday that Russia's age of Putin is far from over, pledging to accept an offer of the prime minister's post when he leaves the presidency next year.

[...]

The Russian president has pledged to accept a job that is, at least on paper, a demotion — perhaps confident of the power conferred by his enormous popularity and by the loyalty of the fellow KGB veterans he placed in many of the Kremlin's most important jobs.

Putin, 55, presented his decision in a speech to leaders of the United Russia party, shortly before they voted to nominate the president's longtime protege, First Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, (mehd-VEH'-dyev) as their candidate in the March 2 presidential contest.

With the support of Putin and the Kremlin's tight control over the nation's media and political landscape, Medvedev appears certain to win.


Y'think?

I do believe that this is merely a play, an act upon a stage. I ahve to wonder what Russians really think about all this. Then again...Я задумываться: "Что же медведя думает о Дракон"?

(hopefully that's not too badly translated)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don`t know much about politics and politicians in Russia, but you know - russians `ve got so much political adventures and surprises, that they are not surprised in Medvedev. =)
ps. The correct link is "Что драконы думают о медведях" - because i am Fafnir, northern dragon, and this blog is named "Dragon Tales". ;)
"Medved`" is translated "bear" - such a playing with words.

Sorry for my English.

Will Baird said...

Russian politics are like a multidimensional Matrioshka: it's more complicated than simply plans within plans, but once you get the hang of it, in a bizarre way it kinda makes sense.

I was aware of the translation of Medvedev: my wife is an Ukrainian from the Donbass region, a Russophone[1]. I was making a pun off of the impression that you were Russian (the classic bear) as when tying together with Medvedev's name. I apologize if I am off kilter a bit. My wife doesn't always have time to humor my attempts at crosslinguistics.

Please, do not apologize for your English. My German is worse and my Russian sends my wife into giggles most of the time. You all have far too many variants of 'ssh' ;)

1. As well as fluent in English, Ukrainian, and knows the rudiments of French. She hopes to add fluency in Spanish.